Information for couples Marrying in Australia

Yes, I will officiate for same sex couples.

1. Before you may marry, the law requires that you sign and lodge with me the Notice of Intended Marriage (NOIM).

This form must be submitted to me a minimum of one month prior to the wedding and must not exceed 18 months. You can submit your Notice in person, via fax or mail, but you must bring the original Notice with you when you meet with me. The NOIM will remain active for 18 months from the date of submission.

2. You must be over 18 years of age to marry in Australia. (A person under the age of 16 cannot marry.)

3. On the day of your marriage you must have two witnesses over the age of 18.

4. If you are Australian born you must show your Birth Certificate (preferred) in English (+ ID ie. Drivers License). If born outside Australia you are required to show your Birth Certificate or passport from your country of birth. To get a copy of your Australian Birth Certificate click here for an application form OR click here to go to the relevant Queensland Government page for further information.

5. If either of you have previously been married you will have to produce your Divorce Decree Absolute papers and/or if either of your spouses are deceased, you must produce the Death Certificate. (If you ‘elope’ to a country overseas, and get married and then want a wedding here in Australia. I can do a “Celebration of Marriage” ceremony but not an official wedding ceremony in such an instance).

6. If you have ever had your name changed, you will also require an Original Name Change Certificate.

I need to sight these documents prior to the wedding. IT IS PREFERABLE if you can have them at the first meeting. If any of the above documents are in a language other than English they must be translated by a NATI certified translator.


If I have not sighted all required documentation, prior to the wedding day, the wedding ceremony CANNOT proceed.

Please note; it may not be possible for both of you to sign the NOIM together before it is lodged. So, if you are running out of time, one of the parties may submit the form to me, however, the party who hasn’t signed the NOIM at that time must sign it in my presence, before the marriage can be solemnised. This may apply if one or both parties are apart from each other ie. armed forces personnel, fly in/fly out workers etc. 1

Can’t wait one calendar month to get married?

There are 5 categories of circumstances set out in the regulations for shortening of time for notice.

  1. Employment related or other travel commitments,
  2. Wedding or celebration arrangements, or religious considerations,
  3. Medical reasons
  4. Legal proceedings
  5. Error in giving notice.

Contact the prescribed authority, Births Deaths and Marriages (in Australia), to discuss your circumstances on 1300366430.

Only a prescribed authority may, if satisfied that circumstances prescribed by regulation have been met, authorise an authorised celebrant (me) to solemnise a marriage. Shortening of time is not commonly or lightly granted, and must be supported by appropriate evidence or reason.

If, for example, one of the party to the marriage of someone involved with the proposed wedding is seriously or terminally ill a doctors letter may be sufficient to request the reduction in time.

Birth Death and Marriages contact details – phone in Australia 1300366430 or International +61732475811. Click here to go to the Queensland Government site.

Birth Death and Marriages email: .

Click here to apply for your Marriage Certificate from Qld Births Deaths and Marriages.